Monday, August 25, 2008

Evelyn: The First Fitting

That Groom. No looking. Do it for me.

********************************

It's been sitting in the shop waiting for me for weeks now. I loved her the moment I saw her. I will call her Evelyn.

Back when I found Evelyn at Mockingbird Bridal in Dallas I forgot one major detail. I didn't note what size I had tried on, and I was ordering my dress from a completely different bridal shop. When the owner asked me what size to order, I took a guess and ordered a size 10. My nervousness about fit was compounded by my 15 lb weight loss between the ordering and the fitting. Walking into the store I had no idea if the dress would be around my size or if I would be swimming in it.


The seamstress laughed and laughed about this shot.

She was a little big, but overall she fit quite nicely. Below you will find her all pinned up and marked for alteration. I will be adding 1 inch to the neckline, and two inches more of sleeves.



The back looks super funky and uneven because she needs to fit a little big snugger. But you get the idea. I love the neckline in the back. I love the long trail of fabric covered buttons. I love my Evelyn.



Now onto the veil dilemma. I though I wanted a birdcage, and that no other veil would even interest me. But you know how bridal shops. They have no mercy, and tempt you with all of their overpriced goodies. Please excuse my veil descriptions, I don't know the exact terminology, but I think you get the idea.

Veil #1
Elbow length, double tiered, ribbon edged.


Veil #2
Waltz/fingertip length, double tiered, ribbon edged.


Veil #3
Waltz length, single tiered, ribbon edged.


Veil #4
The birdcage!


I think I am leaning towards the birdcage, because it shows off the back of my dress the most. I love the back, did I mention this?

What would you go for?

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

sooo elegant! and yes, go for the birdcage...the others take away from the dress IMO

Allison said...

Birdcage for sure! It looks awesome.

Ellen Mint said...

That's a gorgeous dress. Personally I've got an elbow length with a ribbon edge but the birdcage suits you.

Naturally Blessed said...

yay, yay, yay!

just yesterday i tried on my dress for my mom with my new bra....she wants me to start fittings immediately bc she's concerned about the amount of work she thinks my dress is going to need....

as for veils: i'm loving teh birdcage bc it allows ure dress to be the star.

if u choose something aside from the birdcage for with a 1 tier, that makes it sheer enough so u can see the back, i love the back of my dress too and thats what i'm doing. i'd probably go with a pencil edge, i'm not sure that the ribbon edge is really adding anything to your look.

Abbie said...

Love the dress, Jenna! I would go with the birdcage. It looks so great on you!

Kelly B said...

Oh, I really love your dress! I can imagine with the alterations it will fit gorgeously on you. My vote is for the birdcage - I don't think everyone can pull it off, but I think it looks great on you and with the dress!

Cate Subrosa said...

You know I totally adore the birdcage and it really suits you so I would definitely go with it.

Oh your dress is so pretty!

Unknown said...

birdcage, birdcage, birdcage. the others just don't look right & you look BEAUTIFUL in the birdcage veil. i love the dress... it's lovely & perfect!

-kalen of billyandkalen.com

Jess and Carl said...

You are gorgeous! I love the birdcage and I think it definitely showcases the dress... not to mention it's kind of Audrey Hepburn elegance which is suited for your personality!

Silvia said...

You look gorgeous! I love veil # 2 AND the bird cage. Why not wear both! Veil #2 for the ceremonies and the birdcage for the reception.

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful dress and I love the detailing on the bottom back portion of your dress.My mother is making my dress so I have not tried any wedding dresses on.

Claire said...

I love the birdcage, and it's what you've always wanted so go for it.

Skywalker said...

I am a fan of Waltz length but I think the bird cage is a great accent too.

Linda said...

I like #3 the best.

Sarah said...

I agree Birdcages is my far my favorite.

rebekah said...

Elbow length! If you want a second (more informal) veil, go with the birdcage.

Ty Robbins said...

I really like the Waltz style, but I think for what you are wanting you should go with the Birdcage. Your dress is gorgeous!!!! Hooray!

Oh, and have you thought about getting a special perfume for that day. Don't wear it until the day of your wedding and then whenever you wear it after that, he'll always think of your wedding day!

Elizabeth said...

I think I might actually be leaning toward veil #3. The birdcage veil seems a little too bold for this gown...

Tiffany said...

pretty pretty dress! You look so great in it.

I like veil #1. It looks like it goes with the dress and doesn't take away from it. I like the birdcage but I'd do that for the reception.

ley said...

They all look pretty with the dress! My favourites are the third and fourth! Honestly, though, if you keep it with the just one tier, you'd be able to see the back of the dress really well through it.

Natalie said...

beautiful dress Jennah...I love love love it. I like veil #3, but I love the birdcage too. Love.

tina said...

I LOVE the cut and ruching on the top of your dress. Ruching is DEFINITELY my friend. You look beautiful.

I think that I like #2.

Rachel said...

I like the birdcage on you! You can tell by the expression on your face!

Jenna said...

Thanks everyone, I am actually a 2 veil bride now, can't wait to write about it!