Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Grandma Quilt

This weekend I received my first wedding gift. In our family, Great-Grandma N makes every grandchild (and now great-grandchild) a quilt when they get married. My sister sleeps with one quilt that my mom received from this grandma, and I sleep with another. Now I'll be able to take one of these quilts with me no matter where I live.



I'm already completely redesigning the dream master bedroom I had in my head to best frame this gorgeous work of art. This will be the first thing packed in my suitcase when we move to Poland someday.



I don't know anything about sewing or quilting, but I know what a work of love something like this is, and I appreciate the effort grandma makes for each and every one of us. I called her immediately to thank her for the beautiful gift with such a "gorgeous swirly pattern".



What kinds of treasures have you received from friends and family members?

7 comments:

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

gorgeous!!! i love it so much and know you will, too!

a surrogate grandmother gave me a handpainted tea set with gold leaf. there are about 8 pieces. she told me the story of how she looked at it every day in the store back in the '50s and loved it but couldn't afford it. the local woman who made it and painted it gave it to her for her birthday. she gave it to me-- and i couldn't stop crying that day. it's the most beautiful thing i own!

Ellen Mint said...

That is so pretty, and like you said it's more about the thought and love than what it really looks like or the craftman ship.

Sadly we have both lost all our grandmas so there is no chance of us getting anything like that.

Jo said...

Wow! This is stunning. What a truly wonderful gift- I am sure you will treasure it always.

Whitney R said...

That quilt is beautiful. My grandma does the same for us. I have mine as well and I think it's beautiful. She made it out of my favorite colors and I got to pick the fabric. My aunt helped and sewed in a girl on a tractor on the edge. :) You can appreciate that, I'm sure

Ms. 122 said...

that's so beautiful! my g-ma made me a quilt when i was much younger, and mr. 122 has one from his mom (mama g). mama g is also making us one as a wedding gift that is supposed to match the bedding we have registered for. soo excited!

also, thanks for the comments about the dress! i love it so much...can't wait to actually have it!

Cate Subrosa said...

Aw, that is such a lovely family tradition!

Jenna said...

blue-eyed: Oh my, that does sound like something you could keep for the rest of your life. I LOVE old things.