Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Guest blogger: Sharp-Minert Wedding 2007

Hello. I’m Claire, a guest blogger for Jenna, and here is my wedding story.

Steve and I met during law school orientation, but didn’t have an immediate connection. I could give more details, but the story makes me sound like a jerk. Someday we’ll come up with a better story to tell our future kids and grandkids. We went on some casual dates during our first year of school and spent part of Christmas break together. I broke Steve’s heart the next semester and left for a summer internship in Washington, D.C. Fortunately, Steve gave me a second chance and started emailing me during the summer. I wasn’t sure where things would go, but thanks to his persistence, we started dating (again). It was a whirlwind—late nights, going out, studying for finals (or not) together. We were on a moonlit ski lift ride in Sundance when I knew I wanted to marry Steve. Steve proposed a few months later with four dozen roses and dinner at the Chef’s Table. We married during our third year of law school and went on a honeymoon to Cancun, Mexico. Since our graduation in April, we’re in Boise, ID studying for the bar.

Things that I loved:

Photography:

My photographer, Duston Todd, was amazing. I think it’s important to find a photographer whose work and personality you love, because it will make everything better.

I will love my photographer forever for catching my older sister push my cousin out of competition for the bouquet. It makes me laugh every time!

We also set up a photo booth for guests.

Caterer: Culinary Crafts was great and so professional—they took care of the set-up, linen/table/chair rentals, food, and clean-up. We served mini turkey and provolone sandwiches, fresh fruit, romaine and spinach salad, mini quiches, veggies and key lime squares. I think the quiches were my favorite. They even packed us a take-home bag for our honeymoon.

My honey surprised me with a present (nutcrackers that he made for me) at our reception.

Reception location: Two future lawyers having a reception in a courthouse? I know. I wasn’t even considering it as a possibility, but my sister Janae saw it and convinced me to look at it. I loved the beautiful marble hall area, and it ended up saving us a lot in the decoration budget.

Wedding Cake: My groom had his heart set up a chocolate wedding cake, so I let him have it!

Advice for Future Brides:

  1. If your dress needs alterations or you’re doing bridals, make sure your dress shop and seamstress understands your time schedule. I ordered my dress in February (before I was engaged) but the dress wasn’t finished until September! I was so stressed! I absolutely loved my dress, but I hated worrying about when it would be done.
  2. Take a dance class. It’ll make your first dance as a couple so much better!
  3. Start (and finish) your guest list early! I was so overwhelmed by the number of addresses to track down that I left out people I should have invited.
  4. Plan an exit strategy. Make an exciting exit with sparklers, bubbles, etc.

Wedding Vendors/Locations

Wedding location: Salt Lake Temple, Salt Lake City, UT
Luncheon (in lieu of a rehearsal dinner): the Lion House, Salt Lake City, UT
Reception location: Historic Utah County Courthouse, Provo, UT
[contact: 801-370-8611]
Photographer: Duston Dodd
Catering: Culinary Crafts
Cake: Wedding Cakes by Dawna
Invitations: Paper Hearts
Flowers: Pamela’s Floral Garden
Dress: The Brides Shop, Salt Lake City, UT.

7 comments:

Guilty Secret said...

Wow, you ordered your dress before you were even engaged?! No wonder Jenna asked you to guest :)

Great post... thanks for keeping the place warm while she's away!

Jenna said...

Claire-I love this post! You are amazing!

janaemadsen said...

claire the duston todd link doesn't work- in Claire's defense I went to a bunch of wedding shows and entered her into every contest just in case they got engaged- my other sister won a video package and bridals! So I got all wedding excited and told her we should go dress shopping. I am already married but I still love weddings.

janaemadsen said...

I think also we should talk about your bridal shower.

Casee said...

Claire, your wedding was beautiful, you did a great job with all of the plans. Kudos.

Jenna said...

guilty-I didn't even notice that she wrote that she had bought her dress before her engagment. Haha, this does sound a lot like me.

Anonymous said...

Thinking about getting a car insurance quote?
[url=http://safe-car.org]Car Insurance[/url]
A growing number of people are dropping their auto insurance to try to save money, according to a recent study by the Insurance Research Council (IRC). If the current rate of unemployment continues, the IRC estimates that the national uninsured rate will climb from 13.8 percent in 2007 to 16.3 percent in 2010. With that many people driving without coverage, it's dangerous to be uninsured. But how much car insurance do you really need?
If you're like many people feeling the pinch, your inclination is to get the bare minimum of insurance coverage required by the law in your state. That's a good place to start, though those minimums may not fully protect you -- or your assets -- if you file a claim. We recommend getting more than the minimum coverage unless you are driving a beater and have no assets to protect.

Visit [url=http://safe-car.org]Safe-car.org[/url]
All you need to know about
[url=http://safe-car.org]Car Insurance[/url]