I have officially booked my second vendor with no set budget. This doesn't seem like a good way to get the ball rolling does it?
I emailed all of the Seattle Day of Coordinators (also known as DOC) that I could find contact information for, and then did research on all of them (good thing because the cheapest one, who is coincidentally the most persistent in emailing me back, has horrible horrible reviews on the knot.) After creating a tentative budget and setting my priorities I realized that I can't even afford to spend $1000 on a DOC, I had resolved that I would have to figure out everything by myself and probably have to fix some disasters on the wedding day.
Then the weddingbee classifieds stepped in and changed everything. I was scrolling through some posts and saw an ad for a Seattle DOC. Her fee is only $150, which makes me kind of nervous, but she is charging so little for only 8 weddings as this is her first year in business and she is attempting to get started. Since this is a fairly normal thing to do (and exactly what I would do if I were attempting to start my own wedding coordination business), I decided to give her a call and see how we clicked over the phone.
The phone call went well, she was willing to do the things that I really needed, and I made a split-second decision to go for it! Her name is Tiffany Minzel, and if you are a Seattle bride and would like to talk to her yourself leave me a comment with your email address. I think she still has one slot left for a $150 DOC package. Things could go really terribly, but they could also go really really well. I put her check in the mail today, and she agreed to start working on helping me find a venue that would fit my estimated budget. Swayzie is supportive and thinks it's a great idea. It's so nice when he backs up my wedding decisions.
Has anyone else done anything like this, gone through the anxiety of hiring someone you haven't met in real life, and who doesn't have any kind of reputation yet? Should I hurry and cancel the check?